Any and all group execs wishing to hire a vehicle should fully read the information on the Vehicle Hire Instructions.


All students' union Activity groups are able to hire minibuses which will allow individuals who comply with  the following criteria to drive

  • age of 21
  • have held a full driving licence issued either by the United Kingdom or by another member state of the European Community
  • have a least two years driving experience
  • have no points on their license
  • have taken the university minibus driver assessment
  • have registered as a driver with the students' union

Driving a minibus safely 

The students' union have permits that allow drivers who comply with the criteria above, but without having the necessary qualification, to drive a minibus using a special permit as long as they have taken the compulsory Universities assessment which will be arranged through the students' union. Drivers should indicate on the Driver Registration Form that they wish to take the assessment and they will be added to the waiting list.

Anybody intending to take the minibus assessment must read and be familiar with The University of Lancaster Policy for the safe use of Minibuses

Registering to drive a minibus, car or van

Everyone who intends to drive a vehicle that will be used to transport club members or equipment must complete the relevant Driver registration form at the start of every academic year.


On campus minibuses, insurance has been arranged by the students' union to cover drivers of 21 or older at no extra cost to the group.

On cars, minibuses or vans hired from our suppliers off campus, there is an overall insurance policy for external hires financed by students' union however there is an extra cost to the group for each 24 hour booking. Please see the document attached below. 

Please note that when driving on students' union insurance you will be required to collect paperwork from the students' union activities staff before your journey in case of an incident or accident. 

Booking a minibus, car or van

If you wish to hire a vehicle then please use this Vehicle Hire Request Form.

Keys for the on campus minibuses are to be picked up from and returned to the Activities Team at students' union. 

Keys for a hire car from Enterprise will be available to collect from the 24 hour reception building on campus which is situated opposite the Chaplaincy centre.

Minibus hire

There are three minibuses permanently on campus for the majority of each term.  These are leased from Marshalls Self Drive LTD and will be allocated on a 1st come 1st served basis in the following order with Sport Lancaster Plus Clubs being given priority but these need to be booked at least two weeks in advance:

  • BUCS Fixture/event
  • Sport Lancaster Plus Club non-BUCS fixture/tournament
  • Sport Lancaster Plus Club training
  • Sport Lancaster Club for training or competition at a cost of £35 per day

If there is a minibus available then it will be allocated for a society booking at a cost of £35 per day which must be paid by the society before the booking will be made.

If there is not a campus minibus available for any group they will be sent an email directing them to Marshalls Self Drive Ltd 01524 67298 who will deal with the request and booking entirely independently of union staff. 

If a group wish to hire a minibus or van then in the first instance they will be directed to Marshalls Self Drive Ltd 01524 67298 who will deal with the request and booking entirely independently of union staff

If they have the vehicle they wish to hire available for the date/s required they will

  • quote a price which will include the hire cost and the insurance cost
  • provisionally book
  • confirm booking when payment is made in full
  • arrange the insurance cover
  • provide relevant paperwork

If you are unable to book a van from Marshalls please get in touch with the students' union Activities Staff  who may be able to help.

For a guide to vehicle hire prices please see the attached document

Car Hire

All car hires are made through Enterprise by the union Activities staff and only on receipt of payment from the group requesting the booking.


If the vehicle is involved in an accident that causes damage to the vehicle or to another vehicle, the group using the vehicle will be responsible for any repair costs.  These costs could be the full repair costs or the insurance excess.  This will be determined by the union on a case by case basis.

Driving your own car and Student Parking Permit

If you want to use your own car to transport other members of your group then you need to register your car with the students' union using online form.

If your group’s activity takes place off campus and you need to transport individuals/equipment on a regular basis, using your own car, we can authorise a limited number of members of your group to apply for a car parking permit by printing off and complete the Parking Permit Form which is an attached document. Bring this form into the union and ask for it to be given to Caroline Jenkinson who will contact you and the exec of the club. Remember to register your vehicle.

Please note that in order to qualify, you must be living on campus as the university will not issue permits to students who live off campus.