All groups must have an bank account in the groups name.
This can set up from High Street banks.
You need to ask for a "Clubs, Societies and Charities Treasurer's Account" or a "Community Bank Account", this is usually within the Business Account section.
Every bank has it's own requirements, but generally you'll need:
- Two - three signatories for the account
- Each signatory must provide photo ID, two forms of a proof of your address in Lancaster. For example, a Bank Statement, or proof of student status from Lancaster University (This is available from The Base on campus.)
- Your groups Constitution or Terms of Reference
- A written request from the Society providing authorisation to open the account, listing the names of the Exec/Committee members.
The Students' Union banks with NatWest, and as such has a working relationship with the Lancaster Branch Manager.
In some instances we may be able to facilitate access to a group account, or ask questions on your behalf.
NatWest offer a "Community Bank Account".
When setting up the bank account, this is what they ask for:
- Full names (including middle names)
- Personal addresses and date of entry to the address (if it’s less than three years, they’ll need previous address)
- Date of birth and country/town of birth
- Contact details (including contact numbers and email addresses)
- Nationality (including details of any dual nationalities/citizenships)
- Tax purpose residency details (which country are they resident for tax purposes)
- Confirmation that applicants haven't been insolvent, bankrupt, sequestrated or involved in any court proceedings for debt, or made arrangements with creditors. (If any of these have happened to any applicants, we may need more information.)
- Trading and registered addresses, along with organisation contact details:
Affiliated with: Lancaster University Students' Union Charity number: 1172269, Company registration number: 10464111
- Information about your organisation's activities, including income and expenditure, membership structure and number of members, your groups Constitution or Terms of Reference