All groups must have a bank account in the group's name. This can set up from High Street banks.
You need to ask for a "Clubs, Societies and Charities Treasurer's Account" or a "Community Bank Account", this is usually within the Business Account section.
Every bank has it's own requirements, but generally you'll need:
Up to three signatories for the account (UK or international students)
One document to prove your identity : full and valid UK or foreign passport/ national identity photo card (EEA or equivalent);
Up to two forms of a proof of your address in Lancaster e.g a Bank Statement, proof of student status from Lancaster University (This is available from The Base on campus.) or mobile phone bills (less than 6 months old)
Your groups Constitution or Terms of Reference
A written request from the Society providing authorisation to open the account, listing the names of the Exec/Committee members.
This process can take a few weeks, so please ensure that you allow enough time to setup the account in any planning you do.
Any online transactions that are processed by the Students' Union during this time will remain allocated to your group, until the time we can transfer it into your group account.
The Students' Union banks with NatWest, and as such has a working relationship with the Lancaster Branch Manager.
In some instances we may be able to facilitate access to a group account, or ask questions on your behalf.
NatWest offer a "Community Bank Account
" for clubs and societies.
Info you should have prepared before completing the application (NatWest):
- Full names (including middle names)
- Personal addresses and date of entry to the address (if it’s less than three years, they’ll need previous address)
- Date of birth and country/town of birth
- Contact details (including contact numbers and email addresses)
- Nationality (including details of any dual nationalities/citizenships)
- Tax purpose residency details (which country are you resident for tax purposes)
- Confirmation that applicants haven't been insolvent, bankrupt, sequestrated or involved in any court proceedings for debt, or made arrangements with creditors. (If any of these have happened to any applicants, they may need more information.)
- Lancaster University [NAME] Society, Affiliated with: Lancaster University Students' Union Charity number: 1172269, Company registration number: 10464111
- Address along with society/club's contact details (this can be Lancaster University Students' Union's information)
| Bowland College, Lancaster University |
|Bailrigg, LA1 4YT |
- Information about your society/club's activities, including income and expenditure, membership structure and number of members
Additional information that might be required
When changing signatories you should bring:
- Governing Documents. e.g your constitution/ terms of reference
- Overseas payment details. If your society/club sends money overseas, they will need info on the recipient and that includes how the money will be sent; approximate amounts sent; name of recipient and country
- Bank statements. If your society/club is transferring from another bank, they will require copies of 3 months’ bank statements of your existing account
- UK Driving Licence/ Passport
- A PDF of the signatory/ signatories proof of address, such as proof of student status from Lancaster University or bank statement
- A copy of minutes from your meeting/AGM which should detail: Who was present at the meeting and their role
- There must also be evidence of the change of the role title e.g. John Smith (Old President) , Jane Smith (New President)
Once you have completed the steps, you can register your society account details here